Let’s check the levels for updating your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS – wirelessly or using your computer.
You may know that, you can wirelessly update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. * If you can't see the update on your device, you can update using your computer manually too.
Before you update
First of first, become sure about using iCloud or your computer.
Updating your device wirelessly
Whenever a message states that an update is available, easily tap Install Now. Then follow these steps:
- Plug your device into a power source and connect to the Internet with Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install. If a message asks to briefly remove apps because the software needs more space for the update, tap Continue or Cancel. Later, iOS or iPadOS will reinstall apps that it removed. If you tap Cancel, find out what to do next.
- To update now, tap Install. Or you can tap Later and select Install Tonight or Remind Me Later. If you tap Install Tonight, just plug your device into a power source before you go to sleep. Your device will update automatically during the night.
- When asked, enter your passcode. In case you don't know your passcode, find out what to do.
In case of any error or need more space when updating wirelessly
When you face any error message while trying to update your device wirelessly, find out what to do. For example for more space a wireless update, you can update using your computer or delete content manually from your device. Nevertheless, of whether you use your computer or update wirelessly, you'll have the same amount of free space on your device after the update.
Some software updates aren't available wirelessly. VPN or proxy connections may prevent your device from contacting the update servers.
Adapt Automatic Updates
With iOS 12 or later, or iPadOS, you can automatically update overnight while it's charging. To turn on automatic updates, check following levels:
go to Settings > General > Software Update > Customize Automatic Updates and then turn on Install iOS Updates.
In this way your device will automatically be updated to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. But mention that some updates may need to be installed manually.
With iOS 13.6 or iPadOS, you can select not to download software updates automatically by following these levels:
Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Customize Automatic Updates and then turn off Download iOS updates.
How updating your device by using your own computer
Whenever you can’t update wirelessly on your device, you can update manually by using a computer that you trust. If your computer is using Personal Hotspot on the device that you’re updating, connect your computer to a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network before you update.
- On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Locate your device on your computer.
- Click Download and Update.
- Incase asked, enter your passcode. If you don't know your passcode, find out what to do.
In case of any kind of error messages on your computer or need more space to update
You can get help when you receive error messages while updating your device with your computer. Or if you need more space for an update, you can delete content from your device manually.
MacBook Repair at TopTek System
TopTek System (TTS) is an Apple Authorized Service Provider. All of our technicians receive Apple training and they deliver the same high-quality service with genuine Apple parts and the proper tools, which provided and recommended by Apple, to open and close the device therefor the repairs are backed by Apple. Genuine Apple Parts are critical to a quality repair. Visit us to make sure you get your product back working the way it should.
To get service for your MacBook, you can call us or make a reservation online.
There’s no charge if your Macbook issue is covered under warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law.
Not sure if you’re covered? Check your coverage by entering your Macbook serial number.
Most common MacBook Air/MacBook Pro Repair Services:
- LCD /Screen Replacement
- Logic Board Replacement
- Battery Replacement
- Water Damage
- Keyboard Replacement