Set up your new device with Quick Start
Quick Start occupies both devices, so make sure that you choose a time when you won't need to use your current device for several minutes.
- Turn on your new device and place it near your current device.
- A screen appears on your current device that offers the option of using your Apple ID to set up your new device. Make sure that it's the Apple ID that you want to use, then tap Continue. If you don't see the option to continue on your current device, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
- Wait for an animation to appear on your new device. Hold your current device over the new device, then center the animation in the viewfinder.
- Wait for a message that says Finish on New [Device]. If you can't use your current device's camera, tap Authenticate Manually, then follow the onscreen steps.
- When asked, enter your current device's passcode on your new device. Then follow the instructions to set up Face ID or Touch ID on your new device.
- When you see the Transfer Data from [Device] screen, tap Continue to begin transferring your data from your previous device to your new device. Or you can tap Other Options to transfer apps, data, and settings from your most recent iCloud backup or transfer from a backup on your computer.
Keep your devices near each other and plugged in to power until the data migration process is complete. Transfer times can vary based on factors such as network conditions and the amount of data being transferred.